Monday, May 24, 2010

VoiceThread: Sewing Lessons Together


http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/2179088675/

VoiceThread is another social way to share and connect with others. I like how VoiceThread allows multiple ways to respond, including text, voice, and camera. I also like the layout--the basic black and white is very calming after spending time with busy, flashy social media such as Twitter, blogs, and wiki's. Being able to focus on one picture or one video clip is refreshing.

In the elementary school, I can envision VoiceThread being used in various ways.
  • Adding a video of students performing a short Reader's Theater, then parents and other relatives commenting. (As a parent of two elementary students, I would appreciate this opportunity!)
  • Reading a book, then students adding their reviews of the book.
  • Sharing information with students in another school across town, another school in a different part of the state, another state, or another country--for example, one group shares information about a holiday, and another group comments--then reverse
  • Looking at a picture, then every student comments--threading comments together like a poem for the picture
  • A student draws a picture of his/her mother, then adds comments about mom for Mother's Day.
  • Critiquing a music concert.
  • Put up a picture of Christopher Columbus (or anyone!) and each student researches information to add. A class research "paper."
  • Put a picture of a classmate up, then every student adds a compliment.

As I look at curriculum, I know I could create more project ideas. I do like some of the ideas posted in this wiki: http://voicethread4education.wikispaces.com

VoiceThread is a great source to help sew our society together--not only our educational society which I focused on here, but also our families and communities.

Does VoiceThread have enough glitz and glammor to keep the attention of your students?

2 comments:

  1. The sewing lesson is a great metaphor for this technology. I had a sewing lesson once. Still don't know how to sew. It might have had something to do with the colassal failure that I created, but I'm guessing that it had more to do with the fact that I was interested in other things at the time. I do like this technology, and I see it gaining a foothold in my classroom as well. I think the "glam factor" will not be an issue - the chance to choose your vehicle of commenting will be attactive to students for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I found your comment about the clean black and white style interesting---that's part of the attraction of www.google.com's home page. You've got some great ideas about using Voicethread! I'll bet your students' parents would be fascinated to see and hear their child's contribution to a VoiceThread.

    ReplyDelete